Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Aerial Dance - Learn to Fly


Aerial modern dance is a small genre of modern dance that incorporates silks attached to the ceiling, allowing dancers to explore space in three-dimensions. The ability to incorporate vertical, as well as horizontal movement paths, allows for innovations in choreography and movement.

The influence of new fitness trends on dancers is nothing new. As dancers we are constantly seeking new physical challenges, trying something new that will in turn help influence our movement and choreography. As a full time Instructor at Love to Dance, Inc., a San Diego Dance Studio, I am always looking for new elements to enhance my mind and body, so I may bring an edge into the classroom. As a mentor once said "Once you learn something it will stay with you forever". I feel that dancing at these heights and flowing through the air allows my mind to create from a new place.

It is this time of year when many of us hit "walls" when trying to choreograph for so many classes and create original works of art that feature the strengths of our students. I find my search for new avenues seems to pave the neural pathways for creativity and I strongly recommend Dance Instructors/Choreographers to be on a fun-filled endless pursuit of knowledge.

In the past few years I have witnessed and attempted new fads such as Pure Barre Technique (a twist on ballet, exercise and Pilates), Zero gravity yoga (yoga moves done in a soft sling in the air), Gravity classes (Pilates done on a glide board). Just like the fashion world the biggest trend setters in fitness are those oh so in shape celebrities we all look to for physical inspiration. How many women flocked to the yoga studios when we saw Madonna's killer arms? One recent trend that has majorly sparked my interest is aerial work. I have seen countless Cirque du Soleil shows but never thought that learning such an art would be accessible to me, I had always left it to the overly flexible circus performers. I was then inspired by the flawless Grammy performances that Pink gave singing her hit "Glitter in the Air" while suspended upside down in the air. If they could do it maybe I could too.

Aerial classes are now finding their way into local gyms and studios and reaching a much wider audience however they are not just staying in the classroom. Some of the coolest dance shows I have seen recently have had aerial elements involved. It is not just another fitness fad but also a place where a dancer can express their artistic side, grace, balance and flexibility, usually while suspended in the air. It is literally where dance can take flight!

Written from Staff of Love to Dance, Inc.
Visit us at www.lovetodanceinc.com

No comments: